Kingmaker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Act I - The River Kingdoms

+4
Nocovaine
ubiquitous
TimMarsh
Nephilim
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Act I - The River Kingdoms - Page 4 Empty Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ubiquitous Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 am

OOC: Nal'em:

ubiquitous

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Thu May 03, 2012 1:37 pm

OOC: @Megan - Isaac is correct, there is no rule by RAW that allows a take 20, however you are trained on him, and he is not aware at this point in time. I do not have my CORE book on me at the moment, but I believe by RAW (And even if there's not, I'm going to allow it in this case) that studying a target/aiming like this for at least one round will give a +2 circumstance bonus to your attack roll. This does not sound very significant, but the major significance is that he is not aware of you, and is thus not granted a dex bonus to his AC, so as a result you are probably gaining between +3-6 depending on how dextrous the guy is (I'll let you guys work out your own guesses as to how dextrous he is.)

@James:
Spoiler:

DC 16 Spellcraft:
Spoiler:

Happs turns to Mycroft and says "Finally, a man who knows what he's talkin' about. Bring the girly out for me Oleg, I've decided I've had enough of your shit. I think I'm going to bring Kressie home something of value. She can even choose between which of the mules she wants to 'ride' first!" He cackles, with a roaring tone which is chorused by his companions.

DC 14 Perception for Mycroft, DC 18 for anyone observing but hiding
Spoiler:

As Mycroft closes the gate, Happs appears completely unphased, however the men who are with him appear uneasy. The one closest to Mycroft steps up a pace and says "Hang on, we won't be long 'ere, what makes you fink we need the gate shut eh?"
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

https://kingmaker.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  TimMarsh Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Mycroft endeavours to feign sincere bafflement at the bandit's protest.

"Eh there, don't get all twisted up over the gate ya nervous goat, she opens just as quick as she closes." A false glee flashes across Mycroft's face as he excitedly yells a slow-witted taunt over the bandits' heads, "A lot like ol' Sveta in that way, eh Oleg?! Hawhawhaw!"

OOC: Before I continue, I need to check, how close is Ole to the relative safety of the trade house? Mycroft can't topple the crates until he sees Oleg is out of harm's way.

TimMarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

OOC: Tim - Oleg has made it inside at this point
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderHorse Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 pm

Fabian will wander out of the building he's been in carrying his staff and approach the men by the gate. He will try to time this appearance before Mycroft's trap deployment.

"Greetings you must be Happs. Please, come with me I have some goods Oleg has assured me you will find interesting" Fabian gestures for Happs to follow him.

If Happs' men attempt to move Fabian will have this to say "Happs these goods are for your eyes only, tell your men to wait here"

DM:
Spoiler:

ThunderHorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunnotaur Thu May 03, 2012 4:18 pm

-*Aeldeth has her first arrow notched, but bow pointed down, waiting for whatever comes next. She peers carefully with one eye out the window to await the signal.
As she peers through the window, she notices that the bandit closest to Mycroft is looking very jumpy. She thinks to herself this is just what I've prepared for, time to join the great dreamer, my friend. Aeldeth then closes her eyes and begins to piece together every bandit's dream. She pictures the man in the lead of his own gang, and he has just landed a large amount of loot, that is worth a vast quantity of money, he is now the most renowned man among the bandits in the area....
She leaves the dream there for his on mind to takeover and shape into exactly what he wants it to be.
There she thinks hopefully that will help to calm his nerves

OOC: Spell DC = 14

Dunnotaur

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocovaine Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

OOC: Punchies better happen in the next ten minutes!

Pulling out one of the vial's from his potion belt, Gerald mouths a silent 'Cheers!' before skulling the faintly minty smelling substance. A few seconds after imbibing the concoction, Gerald's muscles look more toned than normal, and an air of power settles round him. Gerald tries to crack his knuckles to compound this image of 'strength', but has to try two or three times to get the desired 'crack'.

Even if he can't produce satisfactory 'pop'-ing noises, Gerald is pumped and ready to punch someone.

Nocovaine

Back to top Go down

Post  TimMarsh Fri May 04, 2012 10:32 am

OOC: Chris, can you acknowledge whether Happs moves with Fabian or not?

TimMarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Fri May 04, 2012 4:33 pm

OOC: Will post here, while I await for Tim on STEAM - These posts assume that everyone is doing things roughly at the same time. Questions such as "has Oleg made it inside by this point?" I will answer throughout the day, but as far as advancing the timeline to see how people will react, I will make during the daily posts. Essentially: If you are waiting to see if Happs moves before doing X then the daily post will have what his reaction is. In order to add precision, you are specifically allowed to say "Before X does this, I want to do this" to make up for the fact that someone is faster posting than you.

Happs turns to his men and says "Ooh goodie, show me your wares!" before beginning to walk to join Fabian. However, the men are unsettled, looking at each other with darting eyes as they try to come to terms with this situation, which is quickly turning away from their favour.

Mycroft, the bandit who turned to you, suddenly seems distracted from conversation, and his eyes become relaxed, and daze into space. He seems unaware of the situation, however the two others put their hands on their swords. "What've you done wif Happs?" barks the uglier of the two, quickly followed up by the other "This is not your business. Open the gate at once!" and with this, he firmly grips his steel and draws it facing you Mycroft.
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ubiquitous Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 pm

OOC: Perception: 14+3 = 17. I think I can make out bits of the conversation.

Thormar grimaces. What is going on? Why hasn't the trap been sprung yet? He plants a row of three arrows in the ground just behind the corner of the house, ready to be plucked, strung, and fired in one smooth action. Bow in hand and arrow notched, he waits for the tumbling of crates to signal his appearance.

ubiquitous

Back to top Go down

Post  TimMarsh Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 pm

Mycroft raises his hands, feigning surprise. He hooks his hands on the boxes at his back as he turns.

"All right, bunch 'a jumpy-"

He cuts himself off as he nudges the boxes with a powerful thrust, springing the trap and sending them tumbling into loose position in front of the gates. With his back to the bandits, he calls out in mock frustration.

"Aah what the?! Aw now look at what you made me do, ya hasty bastards!" His tone shifts from his dullard accent into the standard finery of his natural voice as he turns.
"It's gawna take ages to clear all this up, plus..." He locks eyes with the demanding bandit once he is facing them once again. "-considering the fact that my warlock friend has detained your leader, and you are presently out-manned and out-matched by my six additional compatriots, who as we speak have poisoned arrows and magical acid trained upon you..."

DC Intimidate (as both the reveal and the sheer confidence): 7 + 5 = 13

Mycroft leans back casually against the highest point of the collapsed crates, drawing his rapier with a flourish, but then holding it before them as if casually checking its lustre.
"I must present you with your options. Either drop your weapons, and immediately fall to your knees as our prisoners. Or draw your weapons, and immediately fall to your knees dead."

TimMarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  ubiquitous Sun May 06, 2012 4:38 am

OOC: Intimidate: 8+2 = 10

At the clattering sound of crates falling to block the palisade entrance, Thormar steps around the corner, raising his bow and drawing the string back to touch his bearded cheek. He yells his own threat at the bandits, to supplement Mycroft's, but his voice comes out strained and tight from the effort needed to keep the bow drawn: "Do as the man says, or I'll bury this shaft to the feathers in your eye socket."

ubiquitous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunnotaur Sun May 06, 2012 1:54 pm

As the crates fall to the ground Aeldeth returns to herself. She rises slowly and raises her bow, carefully notches her arrow and draws the string to her cheek, and waits to see what the next move of the bandits will be.

Dunnotaur

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Sun May 06, 2012 2:31 pm

@James: Happs is continuing to go with Fabian happily, if you can clarify where you are leading him, that would be much appreciated. He's travelled enough that it could be inside the barn, inside the main house, or the guest house, anywhere on the grounds really, I just need to know where.

The man who has had Haze of Dreams cast on him is distracted, and not doing a whole lot really, however the man who pulled a sword on Mycroft seems taken aback by people popping up out of everywhere he looks, and he says "Alright, I can see you've come prepared. I dunno why you've come to the aid of Oleg. He's not the man you think he is. What do you want, a pat on the back? I'm not in the mood to lose an eye, so you'll get no resistance from me, but just what do you gain from killing us?"

Diplomacy: 18-1 = 17
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TimMarsh Sun May 06, 2012 2:50 pm

DC Diplomacy: 12 + 7 = 19

Mycroft smiles coldly as he steps forward. His words are mildly caustic, to maintain the pressure of the situation.
"For a career-bandit, you demonstrate a rather poor understanding of how hostage-taking works. I shall ask the questions, and you will remove all of your weapons, and those of your compatriot, and toss them there, to my right." He points with the tip of his shining rapier. "And I recommend doing so quickly, for I am known to ask questions a great deal harder when my time is wasted."

TimMarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm

The man at odds with Mycroft is displeased, but understands the situation. "Oleg's got some bigshots eh? Do what you're told boys." he says as he takes his sword, and longbow, and tosses it besides Mycroft's feet. "Now what? You have any burning questions you want to know? Harrold here likes to wear ladies undergarments if that's what was dancing on your lips."
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TimMarsh Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Mycroft tosses his head back, bellowing an intentionally cruel-sounding laugh.
"Ahahaha! Oh, the novelties continue... No my friend, let me explain what comes next." Mycroft signals with his hands towards the known hiding positions of his comrades, bidding them to come forward and raising his voice to a volume that they may more clearly discern. "You fine fellows will drop to your knees, with your hands placed firmly on the backs of your heads, and wait patiently for my fellows and I to bind your hands and feet. After which, we shall scrutinise all of your personal effects, drawing upon our considerable collective experience to discern those rudimentary details that men in your position may feel tempted to lie to us about. Thus armed and informed, we shall proceed to interrogate you, and extract from your memories with some combination of persuasion, witchcraft and painful force, everything we wish to know. While we're at it, we will also extract a great many things we do not wish to know, to keep the four of you sufficiently in-the-dark as to our intentions in this region. After which, you will be released from our control." Mycroft sheaths his rapier.

DC Intimidate: 16 + 5 = 21

Now standing immediately before the bandits, he places his hand firmly on the cheek of the most talkative bandit.
"Now... Powerlessness and submission to others can leave a distinctly bad taste in the mouths of predatory men such as yourselves, so I shall take this opportunity to remind you that yes, as you said, we are indeed 'big shots'. Professionals, you might say, and as such, you needn't feel bad, as there are still many elements of our time together that you directly control." He smiles lightly, and taps the man's cheek almost affectionately. "You will tell us whatever we ask, but you may decide whether we ask with diplomacy, or torture. You will consent to prey no further upon the travellers of this land , but you may decide whether this is due to rearrangement of your values, or rearrangement of your limbs. And of course, you will be turned loose after you have assisted us, but it is you who will decide precisely how much blood is still in your veins when that happens. Understood?"

TimMarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderHorse Sun May 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Nephilim wrote:@James: Happs is continuing to go with Fabian happily, if you can clarify where you are leading him, that would be much appreciated. He's travelled enough that it could be inside the barn, inside the main house, or the guest house, anywhere on the grounds really, I just need to know where.

Fabian has led Happs out into the open near the barn.

ThunderHorse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm

The men, realising that they are outclassed, lay their arms collectively in a pile on the ground, and get to their knees. Mycroft's words have definitely managed to cut through their courage like a hot knife, but only through support in numbers from the eye to the sword, for what good are words without the truth to back them up?

Fabian has lead Happs away from the rest of the bandits, which will now allow you to question any of the bandits, or Happs seperately.

OOC: In order to speed up the interrogation, over the next day, any questions posted will be answered in turn. This will give you a chance to think of information you may wish to extract from these men. If there is a check appropriate, or if you want to ask the question in a certain way, by all means describe the manner of which you ask.
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ubiquitous Mon May 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Thormar stalks over, still keeping his bow in hand, on the off-chance that one of the bandits tries something funny.

INFORMATION HE IS INTERESTED IN:

ubiquitous

Back to top Go down

Post  KatherineRaelin Tue May 08, 2012 2:57 am

Nal'em waits for the bandits to be secured before lowering her bow and joining them on the ground.

Information wanted:
-Why is Oleg "not what he appears to be?"
KatherineRaelin
KatherineRaelin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Results of Questioning:

The weapons of the bandits look years old, but in good shape. The work of a skilled craftsmen, definitely, but made to last, rather than for show. One of the men, away from the others admits that they hold a camp at the north end of the Thorn River, and they've not needed supplies for a while, however much of their kit was at one point belonging to Oleg's Trading post. There are ten in their number, although they are not the only group who operate in the woods to the south. A woman named Kressle keeps Happs in check. There are maps of around Thorn River, however these are kept at the camp by the river. The four men collectively name a few threats, wolves, bears, but one claims to have seen balls of light circling around a woman wearing white, who wanders through the trees silently. He only says this once he knows that the others are not listening.

In reply to the question of why is Oleg who he says to be, you will get differing answers from the men, however Happs whispers in your ear and informs you that he once offered Svetlana as a settlement to keep the group away. He says this only when he knows Oleg is not watching.
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ubiquitous Tue May 08, 2012 4:17 pm

OOC: Knowledge(nature): 18+4 = 22 for the lore check as to the silent white woman, to see if Thormar has heard tell of anything like this before.

The next line of questioning will be following up on this Kressle woman. Is she an independent party, or does she have some kind of boss? How many serve under her? How well-armed are they? Also, some general knowledge questions about the area: are there any other settlements or trading posts? How often do travelers pass through these lands? Do any of the nearby self-declared kingdoms encroach on them at all?

ubiquitous

Back to top Go down

Post  TimMarsh Wed May 09, 2012 5:48 am

Mycroft would be interested to ask about the personal history of Happs and these bandits. Were they born in this region, if not when did they come here, how did they become bandits, what had they done before, and how were the present alliances formed or modified? In essence, Happs has a certain amount of influence, he bends to the influence of some named others, they command a certain number of men, how did they acquire this influence, how do they negotiate the territories and imbalances, how do they enlist new men into their ranks?

TimMarsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Nephilim Wed May 09, 2012 4:41 pm

@Isaac -
Spoiler:

The man you are questioning looks for Happs, and then says "Kressle's her own woman. I seen her leave with Happs for a few days to get supplies south though, dunno where she goes. Don't ask, she don't bother me, which is how I like it. No trading posts that I know of, most of the posts and inns are days to the north. Usually when you come to the Stolen lands, it's coz you runnin' from sommin'. It's how I got here. I killed a man in New Stetven, he was drivin' my lady up the skirt. That was two years ago now. I didn't know much what to do but run, and it just so happened that Kressle was looking for someone new, as she'd just lost a man to one of the wolves, so instead of being held up, I was spared and joined. Now, do we get to leave?"
Nephilim
Nephilim
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum