Act I - The River Kingdoms

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  TimMarsh on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:09 pm

After ensuring that she is fed, and the trail-filth is washed from her face and hands, Mycroft will send young Jenna to bed so that she may be at her best in the morning.
With this done, Mycroft will spend some time working into the evening, finding the heaviest and sturdiest-looking transport crates in the trading post, and positioning them with in stacks, edged with bows of wood as tipping-levers, to ensure that when the trap is sprung on the bandits, a hastily-tipped pile of heavy crates will need to be cleared before they could hope to open the gates. Before the night gets too late, Mycroft will test tumbling the crates once, making adjustments as needed. When this is done, Mycroft will no-doubt notice that it is now too late at night to risk waking everyone needlessly with another test-run, and will instead spend the remainder of the evening patrolling the grounds, between the buildings and up upon the palisade, to both keep watch for any bandit scouts who may assess the trading post in the night, and to speak reassuring words to anyone who finds themselves stirring with anxiety in the night.
He will patrol the palisade without a torch, as his night-vision is strong, and he would not wish to signal to any outsiders that the trading post is now better-defended than it has been in past months.

DC Perception: 15 + 6 = 21


Last edited by TimMarsh on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

TimMarsh

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ubiquitous on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 am

Thormar attempts to convince Svetlana to let him assist her in the kitchens.

OOC: Diplomacy: 10+9 = 19. Profession(cooking): 18+7 = 25. Looks good.

He emerges from the kitchens later that evening, shirtless, slick with sweat, and ghost-white with flour, the old muscles in his arms complaining about the beating they had given the rising dough.

Even if there wasn't blood that morning, there would at least be bread. "To the victors go the spoils," he muses wryly.

He washes most of the flour off, leaving the occasional crusting piece to hang on his skin. The slightest unusual thing could distract a man in the midst of battle, and Thormar liked to press such advantages.

The night air is chill enough to merit a cloak, so Thormar fetches one, along with his dagger, his longbow, and a sheaf of twenty arrows. If there's any sleeping to be done on this night, it's going to be outside. He sets off to patrol the palisade a few times - noting any weakened posts or gaps in the wall - before finding an appropriate spot to settle down and wait for sunrise.

OOC: Perception: 2+3 = 5.

ubiquitous

Posts : 39
Join date : 2012-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nocovaine on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm

After raiding Svetlana's kitchen for a few key ingredients, Gerald absconds off to a quiet room where are variety of pops and hisses can be heard throughout the evening. An odd smell issues forth at one point but gradually gets dispersed.

Eventually Gerald emerges, pince-nezless, and with a few more vials than were previously on his belt. In one hand he carries a rather large bottle full of a beautiful silver substance. Selecting a nearby corner, he sinks tiredly into it and soon falls into a light doze.

Nocovaine

Posts : 17
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ThunderHorse on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:54 pm

With plans, contingencies and an ever growing list of things that could go wrong on his mind, Fabian did not sleep well. Getting up in the early hours of the morning he decided a walk might just ease his mind. Walking staff in hand Fabian strolls out into the courtyard.

OCC, Perception: 19 (18 + 1)

Spotting Mycroft walking the palisade Fabian approaches, "I doubt the bandits will have scouts in the area, still it's good to see someone taking no chances with our safety"

Nagelfar spends the night in the storage shed, he finds the pursuit, capture and consumption of rats entertaining and of some small assistance to our host.

ThunderHorse

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nephilim on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:48 pm

People inside: You are appreciative of the warm beds that Svetlana has provided. Upon preparing your bedclothes, and sliding under the covers it is evident that the blankets have been made from high quality cloth, perhaps from Issian wool. "This shall be the night of nights" you think to yourself, as the last month or so has been a bed of hard ground, and merely placing your cloak around you for warmth. Sleep finds you quickly, and is only interrupted once by a large avalanche of crates from the gate. Cursing your companion for interrupting your dreams, you roll over and begin to drift off again.



People outside: The air tonight is cold and crisp, something you have learned to appreciate during the expedition out of Restov, but not so much as to being immune to. Thick furs are a man's best friend after dark, luckily you packed them in abundance. The black is lonely tonight, as the only sounds that can be heard are the occasional owl, and the grinding of wood as Mycroft has spent most of the evening stacking crates and other such goods in a manner to prevent a hasty exit from this 'guest' who is only identified by his rather simplistic and southern name.

After a few hours of this repetitive noise, once the trap is set, the night seems devoid of sound. Even the owls have stopped.

Perception - Outside: DC 18, Inside: DC 25: (NOTE: If you rolled Perception during the night, then use that check)
Spoiler:
You can hear faint sounds of light feet moving through the undergrowth, too many movements for you to tell numbers, but there is more than one sentient out there.

EDIT: There is now a thread called Experience! which you can look at to track the experience gained by the party.


Last edited by Nephilim on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Nephilim
Admin

Posts : 87
Join date : 2012-03-25
Age : 28

View user profile http://kingmaker.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ubiquitous on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Thormar dozes away, wrapped in his heavy cloak. He's sitting against the east side of the main building, waiting for the first rays of sunrise to slap his cheeks and rouse him to readiness. His bow rests across his knees, and a pair of arrows stand upright in the dirt beside him. Occasionally he murmurs softly in his sleep, the words barely more than another breath in the chill night air.

ubiquitous

Posts : 39
Join date : 2012-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ThunderHorse on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm

OOC: Perception: 19 from earlier check.

OOC: If the noise is coming from undergrowth near the wall Fabian will cast a Light spell near the source. If the noise is from the nearby forest he says the following to Mycroft providing he is close enough to avoid shouting, "Hear that? Foot falls at the forest edge"


Last edited by ThunderHorse on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

ThunderHorse

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nephilim on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:08 pm

OOC: James, can use your check above when you were wandering around outside Smile Edited original post for clarity.
avatar
Nephilim
Admin

Posts : 87
Join date : 2012-03-25
Age : 28

View user profile http://kingmaker.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  TimMarsh on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:17 pm

OOC: Looking out from atop the palisade, can Mycroft see anything?

TimMarsh

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nephilim on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:44 pm

OOC: With the light of a torch, you would be able to see down to the tree line, however there is nothing but bugs hovering around the light, and the trees frozen in place, awaiting the non-existent wind to carry their branches in a midnight dance.
avatar
Nephilim
Admin

Posts : 87
Join date : 2012-03-25
Age : 28

View user profile http://kingmaker.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  KatherineRaelin on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 pm

OOC: sorry! Removed the mention of the torch, so post is corrected.

Nal’em examines the corpse, but finds no acceptable meat and the fur already rotten. Absently, she kicks the body and heads back to the trading post, leaving the wolves to their meal.

Upon returning to the group, she listens as Guntram expounds on his plan of attack. Happy to see that the plan has been made, she slips quietly to her bags and takes them to a room. Once inside, she starts to polish the deep brown armor with oil until it is supple and flexible.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Happy with her work, but worn out, Nal’em looked out the window. The silvery moon hung high in the sky, telling her of how late the hour was. The night had gotten a chill to it, but the fire in her room had kept the worst of it at bay.

With a yawn, she slipped into her armor, clasped the short fur-lined cloak about her, and proceeded to climb up to the roof to get a better vantage point on the grounds below. The daggers hanging at her hips and the bow slung across her back an old familiar weight that had become more of a comfort than a hindrance now helped sharpen her senses to become battle ready.

(Climb Check: Roll(1d20)+5:14,+5 Total:19)

Once on the roof, Nal’em was shocked by how still the night seemed. There should have been the rustling of small animals and the chirruping of insects, but there was nothing.

(Perception check: Roll(1d20)+7: 6,+7 Total:13 *crap*)


She took a quick glance around ght coming from Mycroft’s torch. She coated her daggers with drow poison and dipped an arrow head into the same poison. Once done, she checked her position and made sure she had a clear line of sight to the gate. She then settled in for the night’s watch.


Last edited by KatherineRaelin on Tue May 01, 2012 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removing mention of Mycroft's torch.)
avatar
KatherineRaelin

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-04-16
Age : 33
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  TimMarsh on Tue May 01, 2012 1:17 am

OOC: Yikes, sorry I'm not posting quite quick enough! Just to clarify everyone, I specified in my second-to-last post that Mycroft is specifically not carrying a torch while he makes his diligent rounds. I didn't even pack one for him in his general equipment, since a torch only illuminates a 20-40 foot distance, and he can already see longer increments than that in dark conditions due to one of his feats.

TimMarsh

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nephilim on Tue May 01, 2012 3:05 pm

OOC: This is fine, as Mycroft would not have seen anything more, except for the tree-line more clearly. I will ensure that in future there is a spoiler for Dark Vision 60 ft characters.



After hearing sounds between the natural wooden pillars of the trees to the south of Oleg's post, your senses sharpen. You can definitely hear something. Somethings. The hair on your back stands taller than Nagelfar, and your eyes strain into the depths of the black. Mycroft, you see Na'lem share a glance, and it is clear that she cannot see much. You however, with your superior eyesight in times such as these, begin to see long shapes form in the dark, moving through the undergrowth, but once you begin to see the fur upon their backs, your senses complete the picture. Wolves.

Recognising what you are looking at, it becomes easier to make out a pack of five strong wolves with dark fur moving through the woods, each easily being two meters in length. They are quite brazen, and are unfazed by the large unnatural construct that is the trading post, but do not look like they are specifically paying it attention.

Much less alarmed than before, you watch them move their way between the trees, and then the largest wolf, with thick fur looks in your direction. Instantly you feel more at unease, as the eyes of the wolf are pure white, and seem to stare into your very existence. It hangs there, and the rest of the pack sense this, and freeze in place, looking towards the wall where you stand.

Your ears are met with a piercing howl from the white-eyed wolf, chorused by its host in a chilling melody. The pack then turns, and moves into the wood, returning the night to a silent, lonely state.

Luckily, there are no further intrusions for the rest of the night, and you get some sleep to be prepared for the morning.



Now, can everyone please post where they would like to be in the morning when Happs is due to arrive? Alexander will be in the stable, keeping out of eyes view, but ready to fire his bow out of the window. He has also tipped his arrows in the concoction prepared by our friend Gerald. Guntram, on the other hand, once he awakens will be ready for action, but out of view inside the main house, to protect Oleg and Svetlana.
avatar
Nephilim
Admin

Posts : 87
Join date : 2012-03-25
Age : 28

View user profile http://kingmaker.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  TimMarsh on Tue May 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Mycroft will take his ambush-position, hidden behind the gates, among the crates (does this require a stealth check?).
Jenna will position herself below low-cover in the palisade, pointing inwards. If there are any spare crossbows, she may borrow one and prepare some of Gerald's poison bolts, otherwise she will ensure she is in reasonable range for her attack spells. She will also extend the offer of a mage-armor spell to anyone planning to confront the bandits on the ground alongside Mycroft and Guntram.

TimMarsh

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nephilim on Tue May 01, 2012 3:21 pm

@Tim: I would like a stealth check, as your position is significantly more visible than being inside a stable/house.
avatar
Nephilim
Admin

Posts : 87
Join date : 2012-03-25
Age : 28

View user profile http://kingmaker.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nocovaine on Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Gerald, devoid of his pince-nez once again, has joined Alexander in the stables to keep him company.

OOC: I feel so naughty posting a one-liner. Neutral

Nocovaine

Posts : 17
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ubiquitous on Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Thormar is limbering up - have to do such things at his age before battle - out of sight of the main gate behind the nearest building. Be that the stables or the main house, either works.

ubiquitous

Posts : 39
Join date : 2012-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  TimMarsh on Wed May 02, 2012 4:26 am

Okay, here's that missing stealth check (don't have a dice-roller on my phone, you see).

DC Stealth: 15 + 5 = 20

TimMarsh

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ThunderHorse on Wed May 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Fabian will take up a covered position in a building with windows or other easily accessible openings through which he can see and fire his bow. Close to the gate is preferable. If Gerald kindly gave him a concoction to dip his arrows in Fabian will have stored it in a vial from his belt pouch. He will dip 5 arrows and place them and the bow within arms reach.

Question, how much of the poison should Fabian have and how many arrows will this quantity coat?

ThunderHorse

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Nephilim on Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 pm

@Tim: See, this is something you need to get sorted out pronto Smile

@James: I said enough for 20 projectiles, and there are four people wanting the poison (Fabian, Na'lem, Jenna, Alexander) so 5 each.

@Liss: You have been placed in the barn.

@All Spellcasting classes that need to prepare, can you place in your character sheets a place that has "Prepared spells" Just so I know what has been prepared?




Around an hour before sunrise, the members of The Eye to the Sword who slept in the guest house get up, and prepare themselves for the altercation which is no doubt to occur in the first few hours after light dawns. Oleg and Svetlana are awake, and Guntram ensures that Oleg is prepared for the bloodshed that may occur, if Happs is displeased with the number of people in the way of his pickings.

It is a tense time, as everyone plays an extended game of hide and seek. When would this man show up? Would he at all? Would this preparation be for nought?

The answer to this comes about an hour after sunrise, as through the woods to the south, the shapes of four tall men on horseback, with two mules in tow, approach. Only Mycroft is able to see the men well, however a burly man with a strong beard who leads the group matches the description Oleg gave the day previous. Without too much time, the horses are in the open in front of the gate. Their riders appear grizzled, and experienced in their trade, for many of them carry hunting knifes, waterskins, bows and a sheathed sword directly on their belts and back, ready for any situation.

"Open up, or we'll start tossin' some fire in to speed your asses up!" Sneered the bearded man, which was accompanied by sniggers from the other men.

Continuing to the plan, not wanting to give up the secret that there are rather significant guests at the post, Oleg unbars, and opens the gate, and says "Come on in Happs, whatever you want is yours."

The man needed no invitation, and he quickly dismounts, eyeing the pile of crates that Mycroft had piled up the night before. (Happs: Perception 15, bandits: perception 10 for noticing Mycroft hidden behind) "Heh, I see you brought it all out for me. What is this shit though? You really need to start buying better stuff for me to take, or I might just not need you alive anymore. Perhaps 'lana would do better in my stead than yours eh?" he snarls, looking with a twisted smile towards the main house.

Now, tell me adventurers, what do you at this point in time? Note, the men and the horses are dismounted, and within the gates.


Last edited by Nephilim on Wed May 02, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Nephilim
Admin

Posts : 87
Join date : 2012-03-25
Age : 28

View user profile http://kingmaker.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Dunnotaur on Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Aeldeth has been sitting quietly taking in the plan and preparing herself mentally for the events heading their way. As the meeting breaks up, she decides that she will position herself in the barn at a window so she can have easy access with her bow.



OOC:
Spells Learned:
1) Spark
2) Guidance
3) Stabilize
4) Haze of Dreams
5) Command
6) True Strike

Dunnotaur

Posts : 11
Join date : 2012-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ubiquitous on Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Thormar is waiting, arrow notched to the curve of his bow, for the tell-tale tumbling noise of Mycroft's pile of crates that will signal the beginning of the ambush.

ubiquitous

Posts : 39
Join date : 2012-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  TimMarsh on Wed May 02, 2012 4:26 pm

The air of sneering menace set by the bandits blends with, and is quickly overwhelmed, by sincere sounding jovial laughter coming from their left flank. The sound of his voice mildly disguises the creak of the gate as he presses the left side shut, and he shifts from chuckling into jovial speech as he reaches and grabs the other door.
Mycroft's body language is precise and premeditated, he is initiating a tactical feint with his choice of words, his disarmingly light tone, and the soft, smooth gestures intended to reduce the startle value of his immense frame and stylish clothes.

DC Bluff (Deceptive tone and affectation): 18 + 10 = 28

He meets their eyes as his words begin, manipulating the gate behind his back as if it were nothing to be concerned about. His chosen accent is informal, almost buffoonish.
"Ahaha, you don't know 'ow right you are, friend. Even at 'er age, old Svetlana's full of surprises that keep our boy Oleg on 'is toes." Mycroft waves his hand dismissively at Oleg.

DC Diplomacy: 11 + 7 = 18 He takes pains to seem as likeable and unimposing as possible.

"Caam-on Ollie, get the young lady out here, it ain't right to just talk behind 'er back, ahahaha..."

Having signalled Oleg to rush for the house, and dropping the gate-bar into place with a carefree, playful flourish, Mycroft steps forward, his eyes down, continuing to chuckle lightly to jokes unspoken. Rather than risking alarming the bandits, and not wanting to afford them any significant time to react, Mycroft takes only draws a little closer, before resting his back weightily against the precarious stack of crates. With a hard pivot, he could block the entrance, but that would give way to hostilities too soon, and potentially put Oleg at risk while he was still exposed.

DC Sense Motive: 9 + 6 = 15

Raising his eyes, Mycroft scans the faces of the bandits, seeking to read their reactions, and react most appropriately in turn. He points his right thumb casually over his shoulder, gesturing towards the barred gate.

"You've gotta be more careful fellas, been some big wolves around lately, an' we sure as Hells don't want 'em in here, ahaha! Now what goods are you in need of this month?" He meets eyes with the aggressive-looking man matching Happs' description.

TimMarsh

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  ThunderHorse on Wed May 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Character sheet updated with spells prepared.

Fabian's actions: DM, DC: Being awesome
Spoiler:
DC 15 Will/Negates, Charm person range 25' cast at Happs, if Happs is not in range Fabian will wait until the bandits become hostile or the trap is triggered and then cast Slumber Hexs at the bandits starting with the ones closest to the gate (DC 15 Will/Negates, as Sleep, range 30') If the courtyard is way bigger than I think it is let me know Razz

ThunderHorse

Posts : 14
Join date : 2012-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  KatherineRaelin on Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 am

Back in the position as she was before, Nal’em crept along the rooftop slowly and quietly until she could see the bandits. She could see Mycroft standing at the gate and Oleg making his way back to the main house. The trap was set to spring as soon as Oleg set foot into the house.

She notched an arrow and waited patiently for the signal, her eye sighted down the shaft at the neck of one of Happ’s men. She concentrated on slowing her breath and tracking the man, making sure the shot would aim true.

OOC: Is there a way for me to take 20 on the shot at all? Just curious.

Stealth check: Roll(1d20)+9: 17,+9 Total:26
avatar
KatherineRaelin

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-04-16
Age : 33
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act I - The River Kingdoms

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum